Today around 2:10 p.m., the Carstairs Fire Department was dispatched to a grass fire in the east ditch of the QEII northbound lanes, between Township Road 293 and 294.

The fire is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette. Thankfully, the fire was contained quickly.

With the Airdrie area under a heat warning, the ditches, and all other areas, are extremely dry right now. By throwing a cigarette out your window, you are risking property damage, and the lives of those around and the first responders who have to deal with the fires.

RCMP is asking residents to be aware of the dangers of discarding flammable materials out of their vehicle windows.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to [email protected]. You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM

Sartconference encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the Sartconference app. For breaking news, weather and contest alerts, click here.