The Calgary Police Service has issued a statement regarding an officer-related shooting that occurred north of Airdrie late on Friday night.

According to CPS, a Calgary police officer discharged their firearm during the police incident east of Carstairs.

"We can confirm that during the exchange of gunfire between police and the suspect that occurred on Highway 2 near Highway 581, a CPS officer discharged their service firearm. As is standard practice, the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) will investigate the use of force by police. As such, no further information can be shared," police stated in a brief release.

According to CPS, at approximately 10:45 p.m. on Friday, they responded to reports of a domestic disturbance in southwest Calgary, where it was reported that a man had caused damage to property inside a residence, damage to a vehicle, and injury to a cat.

"When CPS officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop involving the suspect, he fled from police in his vehicle. It is believed the suspect was impaired at the time."

The suspect was monitored by the Helicopter Air Watch for Community Safety (HAWCS) as he drove out of the city on the QEII.

"The CPS coordinated with the Alberta RCMP, who took over command of the incident at about 11:40 p.m."

Previously Alberta Mounties had also issued a statement on the incident, which saw the QEII shut down for several hours in the early morning hours on Saturday. According to Mounties, Alberta RCMP was notified by the Calgary Police Service (CPS) of a suspect that had previously fled from police and was being covertly followed by a HAWCS helicopter.

"The Alberta RCMP Real Time Operations Centre (RTOC) assumed responsibility for the incident to ensure efficient communications and a coordinated, joint response. Under RTOC, officers from CPS as well as RCMP from Airdrie, Didsbury, Olds and Sundre set up a covert tire deflation device and were successful in disabling the vehicle on the QEII Highway near Highway 581."

A traffic stop was conducted and there was an exchange of gunfire between the suspect and police resulting in no injuries to police or the suspect.

Police were able to disengage from the suspect and set up containment. RCMP made verbal contact with the suspect and successfully de-escalated the incident. The suspect surrendered to police.

"There were no injuries suffered to members of the public, officers or the suspect during this incident," police added. "The Alberta RCMP are thankful for the eventual outcome of this incident, demonstrating effective police intervention in high-risk situations for which officers are highly trained."

However, RCMP added that despite this, events like this, 'are difficult for the communities in which they occur, as well as the general public and officers involved.'

"Police recognize the trust placed in them to use force that is necessary, proportional and reasonable and in so doing remain fully accountable. In compliance with legislative requirements, the Director of Law Enforcement was immediately notified causing the deployment of ASIRT to oversee the investigations into this incident."

Independent of ASIRT’s investigation, the RCMP’s and CPS’s internal review processes have been implemented to gather a full account of what took place during this incident, including Police training, policy, and response.

At noon, Mounties stated that investigators were clear from the scene on the QEII and normal traffic flow had resumed in all directions.

Send your news tips, story ideas, pictures, and videos to [email protected]. You can also message and follow us on Twitter: @AIR1061FM.

Sartconference encourages you to get your news directly from your trusted source by bookmarking this page and downloading the Sartconference app. For breaking news, weather and contest alerts, click here